Saturday, May 30, 2009

Back from the Big Apple

I love how our Captain announced that it was going to be "mostly clear skies for our flight." Well...I guess in all fairness, that is a subjective statement.
I could not tell you the address of this cloud.

My favorite New York airport, La Guardia. The polka-dot tower always made me feel like I was home.

NEW YORK HAS CHANGED

I can't believe how much. The thing that struck me the most was how New Yorkers smiled back at me immediately. Many of you know that when I lived in New York all those years ago, that I would play the "smiling game"; I would smile at people and time how long it would take for them to smile back at me. The average time, if they smiled back at all, was just about two seconds. That seems short, but as you are waiting for that reciprocation of a friendly gesture, it seems like an eternity. Now, they smile back immediately...I'm not exaggerating, I was so shocked that I started talking to a lot of people about it...they say that it has been this way since 9/11.
This was so encouraging to me that I turned my "bucket of sunshine" meter up all the way to 11, and smiled at almost EVERYONE (if I didn't think that they would follow me all over Manhattan for doing so).
Also, because it had been so long since I had been back, I was truly a tourist again.
So, if you had seen a snapshot of me...it would have been me smiling at everybody...in between me looking up at every skyscraper, in heaven.
What a bright spot I will always remember this trip to be.

Just one more...
Yeah, boring ol' Times Square. :)

No comments: