Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dang you, Paris!

Kath and I are gratefully sitting in an Internet cafe that actually HAS Internet, we spent the best part of the morning looking for one. But on the way, I DID enjoy my breakfast which included an actual LAVENDER eclair. =)

We will be going to the Musee D'Orsay today, they have one of the best collections of Impressionist Art in the whole world, if not the best. I will see many van Goghs. I will cry. Then tonight, Kath and I will head to Brussels. She will buy an UNHOLY amount of chocolate, and I will contemplate upon the color yellow.

The Musee D'Orsay


I felt it almost blasphemy to photograph this painting. I...don't even have words.

I considered seeing this painting and the Impressionist section of the museum to be a spiritual experience. I could spend a whole day here on this one floor alone. Just thinking.


We just had to...


Some Final Images of Paris










*Later* (10:36 pm from Brussels)

We are here in Brussels, in the van Gogh youth hostel, wow, it is like staying in a swank club in LA. They are blasting the Rolling Stones from the speakers. This place is nuts. Kath and I BARELY made our train. The subway had a malfunction just one stop BEFORE we needed to get off...I thought I would have an aneurysm. I am glad I did not.
The Musee D'Orsay blew my mind. If there had not been so many people there, I might have fallen on the floor in the impressionist wing, weeping. I got to see so many of my favorite van Goghs. And I fell in love with "Starry Night Over the Rhone." Until you see that painting in person, there is no way that you can understand how amazing it is. The line to get into the D'Orsay was not that bad, and as we were trying to correct the major farmers tan line that we have procured on this trip by rolling up our sleeves the whole way and standing in the sun, I heard an older man whistling "La Vie En Rose"...I looked up and smiled at him. He seemed happy that I did.

The reason that I am angry at Paris is that it made me fall in love with it. Against my will. It is the most beautiful city I have ever seen. I am one of the millions now...those who ever long to return to the city of lights.

TOMORROW:
Brussels, (chocolate) the center of the European Union, (chocolate) I am VERY excited to see the headquarters of the (chocolate) EU.
Goodnight.

No comments: