Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I LOVE ROME


Okay, this little girl was so cute that I wanted to beat myself with a chair and then run off with her. I think her Mom may have noticed...

We are in Rome, at the Roman Mission home. I know, poor us.

We have been here for three days and I feel like I have had but a taste of this most ancient of cities. When I saw the Coloseum, I cried. For some reason, seeing the ruins of this once great city makes me deeply, deeply sad. Mostly because the corruption of these, the children of God. And knowing, that one day, I will crumble, too.


Note to self: Read "Bread and Circuses."


*Kath got this shot of me, drawing the Coloseum*







One of my favorite photographs of Kathryn, of all time.

I hope this fascinating man found the very thing that he came to find in Rome. I will forever regret not asking him where he was from. And I never got close enough to see what language his Bible was written in.


The Prison where they kept Peter and Paul.


Remus and Romulus

MAN she got a bad deal.



I must say, Romans are the NICEST and most civilized Italians that I have ever met. My sister thinks so, too. I don't know how to describe how amazing they are.
And the Roman night life is like nothing else I have ever seen, it tops even New York City. It's true, Brandon, it really does, by far. Busses run 24/7 to accomodate this and they are JAMMED till about four in the morning.
It is tough, well...impossible really, for me to wrap my head arround a city this old, and with this much history...all of billions of people who have ever lived here. *shake*shake*shake* My brain won't even go there.



I have sung three times while being here, once by the Pantheon, once in Piazza Navona and the last time, last night, in our restaruant in Trastevere.


Trastevere is where all of the sexy/cool young Italians go for dinner and just to hang out. They start first in Campo Dei Fiori for their "apperativo" and then hoof it over one of the bridges of the Tiber river to this cool and sexy district.


I saw the Italian boys, or young men rather, the ones with the brilliant minds talking about anarchy and change and world peace with their beautiful hands...and their beautiful black hair glistening in the lights of the taverns. Other people just sit down in groupes...on some ancient wall...drinks in hand, digging on the night. We stayed out WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY too late.


It was crazy, Kath and I were on the night bus going home after, and a groupe of kids from Austria recognised me! A cool young girl with the longest dreads I have ever seen, said in a massivly cool accent "Are you the girl who sang at the Pantheon on Saturday night?" She and her friends were there when I sang at the Pantheon, and when whey heard me sing, they sang too (I actually remembered hearing them). That was REALLY cool, I'll have to admit. She is studying social work, and in that respect, will change the world. I gave them all cards with my web address on it.
We will see St. Peter's Basilica today, and I will get to see, with my own eyes, Michaelangelo's "Pietà", I will cry.
We leave for Modena tonight.

2 comments:

Michelle Loves Danger said...

just finished taking my art history class.. Pieta is one of my favorites! Its beautifully crafted and tells a whole story in one sculpture. Enjoy!

marianne said...

A Santa maria di Strastevere , quand je suis venue de la France en Italie. J'y ai vecut quelques mois. Rome m'a beaucoups plus , surtout que je faisais des gateaux que je revendais à Piazza navona mentre que mon amie italienne (connue à Roma) jouait de la guitare et chantait, que jolis souvenirs que tu me fais rever. Saluts. Marianne